Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Hour in Dance Education Heaven

When we moved to San Angelo I realized that all my hopes and dreams of saving the world one public school dance class at a time wouldn't come easily. Then I started to think it wouldn't come at all. But today I found myself spending an hour sharing all my lofty ideas for ways to bring dance to elementary school children with someone who actually wanted to listen and who bounced ideas back!

Her name is Tara Rainey, the new executive director at the San Angelo Civic Ballet (not to be confused with Meghann Bridgemann, the artistic director, who hired me). Tara asked last month if I would be interested in helping with the ballet's outreach in February. Today we sat down to chat about it... turns out she's about as ambitious as I am. She believes strongly in the importance of arts in the public schools, although she doesn't know much about dance. As she put it, "I can get you money and get you in places, but I just don't have the ideas." Well how great... I have the ideas but no ins and no money. We have some cool plans and are going to work on writing some grants soon. Yay! Even if all our wildest dreams don't come true, I'm just so happy we could share that hour talking together.

No comments:

Post a Comment