Sunday, April 18, 2010

Perfection: a process

I just wanted to share a quick thought that was given in our Sacrament Meeting today. First of all, I so appreciate all the effort that is put into church meetings by leaders and members alike. Our Sacrament Meeting was especially inspiring today, with 2 songs by the choir, one beautiful duet by husband and wife, and three well-prepapred talks. I was especially impressed by our last speaker, Joe Hill, who spoke with such sincerity and humility that I was truly touched by his thoughts. He began his talk with this quote by Elder Eyring: "We share a desire to become better than we are." I think this was something that Heavenly Father wanted me to hear today. Recently I have been frustrted by my flaws... I have so many. I set goals to improve certain habits or to gain a new skill and I fail. I start over. I fail again. Even with simple things like job searching I feel like I am constantly reminded of what I am NOT qualified to do, what I DON'T know, and what I HAVEN'T experienced. At the same time I look around and see all my friends and family having great success in all aspects of their life. The accounting major friend is suddenly an extremely eloquent and witty writer, quoting conference talks, starting an exercise program, getting internships with big companies. The mom of a one-year-old is sewing cute baby clothes and saving major money with an intense couponing routine while staying in perfect shape and learning how to make delicious bread for her husband. I am surrounded by women who can do it all and I feel like I can do so little. BUT... "We share a desire to become better than we are." No matter where I am or where you are we both want to improve ourselves. None of us will ever be truly satisfied where we are because we will never be perfect yet we are commanded to "be ye therefore perfect." I am grateful for the reminder that we are all in the process of perfection together and that none of us is alone. We have eachother as motivators and mentors, as helping hands, as comfortors. We also have a Perfect Savior whose example we can follow and whose hands are always outstretched toward us.

No comments:

Post a Comment