Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mid-morning Thoughts on Time and Joy

By this time on Tuesday I had already taught seminary, cut Bret's hair, and cleaned the entire house. By noon I had also gone to the gym, gotten ready all over again, washed the dishes and made a dent in some of my work. I loved that feeling of just getting things done. I felt like an All-Star.

This morning I went to Seminary but didn't have to teach (one of the moms was a guest teacher today), went grocery shopping and took my sweet time perusing each isle, and spent an hour looking at friends' blogs. And do you know what, I don't feel even a little bit bad about it.

This new job and new schedule have been lovely. Lovely doesn't necessarily mean a cake walk though. On Tuesday I worked about 10-11 hours and my body ached by the time I was done teaching. I stayed up much later than I should have planning a seminary lesson. On Wednesday I taught a total of 9 dance classes. Yes. Nine. And only one of them involved students over the age of 8. (For those of you who have never taught children, the younger they get the more energy output is required of the teacher.) I think I totaled 12-13 hours of work. I still have lots to do and plan and accomplish, but the JOY of it is that I'm doing what I love. Those 9 classes were a blast. Tiring, but awesome! I feel so blessed for this change in my life. And since I only have three classes to teach today, I'm going to enjoy my sweatpants and Pandora and the sunshine coming into our apartment window. Maybe I'll make some muffins, maybe I'll get ambitions and start a sewing project, maybe I'll hang out with Dwight and Pam for a few minutes, maybe I'll read ahead for seminary. But I  WILL NOT do anything work-related until 1:30 today, simply because I don't have to.

Whether you day is going to be busy or boring or well-paced or frantic, I hope that you will find JOY in it. I know you won't find joy in every minute - that's a joke! But I hope you find little magic moments that make you remember why you do what you do and how lucky you are to be you.

-Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment