Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mommy Meltdown

Yesterday I had my first mommy meltdown. Poor Bret came home, excited because we were leaving on our first baby-less date to see Brian Regan in an hour... and his wife was in tears.

Babies cry. I get that. I don't mind too much when Molly cries because I can usually console her and I feel like I can generally pinpoint the cause of the sadness. For example, she can get pretty cranky when she's tired, but I can understand that and eventually I can help her fall asleep. But yesterday it was screaming, shaking, big tears rolling down her cheeks and I just couldn't help her stop. She has been taking really short naps and acting tired and fussy, so I tried helping her to fall back asleep. Nope. So I bagged that and tried playing with her. Nope. Feeding her? Nope. Rocking? Bouncing? Walking? Holding her over my shoulder? Football hold? Bundled up? Set her down? Diaper change? Take her temperature? I think we bounced and both cried together for at least 45 minutes straight. (I wish I would have counted how many laps I did around our small apartment!) Of course she finally wore herself out and fell asleep 5 minutes before Bret got home... and then woke up again 5 minutes after he got home. And wouldn't you know it, she smiled and acted totally content.

What is going on? It happened again today, but luckily I was able to clam her down after about 15 minutes. I sincerely hope she's teething because I want this to be caused by something. I feel like she spends a portion of her day being totally and completely happy, and the other part of the day wailing. There isn't a whole lot of in-between. I know teething can start about this time and I can see little bumps where the teeth will come in, but I have no idea if they are on their way. This poor baby... all I want is for her to be happy!


2 comments:

  1. If you think it might be teething I highly recommend Baby Hyland's teething tablets. I love them because they work instantly and they are all natural so if on the off chance you give them to her and she isn't teething it is still ok, I always hesitate to give Soren medicine when I'm not confident he needs it, so I love the teething tablets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Cami! I've noticed that Curtis has phases like this when he is either growing physically or mentally. His usually last a week or more and then he'll be back to normal. Believe me, we ALL have mommy meltdowns! Motherhood can be tough! Love you!

    ReplyDelete