Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Let us Meditate...

On Monday I got a call from a friend in the ward who asked if I knew anything about meditation.
"Sorry, no."
She proceeded to tell me that the Laurels wanted to do meditation/relaxation for their class activity this week. What they really wanted was an excuse to take a nap, and while she wanted to let the young women be involved in planning their activity, she wasn't sure that showing up to sleep for an hour would be worth everyone's while. So she asked if I would be willing to come and help them relax, breath, meditate, stretch or whatever.
"I guess I can pretend I know what I'm doing."

So I just got home from an hour and a half with 4 Laurels and I not only feel relaxed (even though I led and didn't really participate) but I also feel so inspired to know that there are good, fun, wholesome, well-manered, fun-loving high school students here in Texas. There are parts of my job at Lake View that I love, but it gets extremely overwhelming when I see how far off-track (behavior, lifestyle, education, etc) the vast majority of these students are and I feel totally powerless to help them change. I can't do much else besides be a friendly face and a person they can look up to and trust. Tonight I feel like these sweet girls lifted a bit of that burden and gave me hope that maybe smiling and speaking kindly can make a difference. More than anything else it reminded me that even if I can only do a little in the lives of these struggling Lake View students, I can do a LOT to affect how my future children grow up and the kind of people they become.

...and they thought I was helping them relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment