Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Achy Breaky Heart

Working at this school breaks my heart. Let me paint you a picture... Second period. Kid in the front blowing on his new tatoo (others frequently asking to see it and complimenting how cool it is). Kid behind him bouncing his head to the noise coming from his iPod, occasionally singing along to obscene lines like "two girls in the same hotel" or "same *** just a different restroom)" etc etc. Nice pregnant girl sitting next to me, about to pop any day. Kid in the middle of the room head down on his desk - never sure if he's just always tired or if he's on something. Two guys in the back consistently chattering... telling crude jokes, talking about inappropriate things, mostly just making dumb comments littered with foul language. Girl joking about buying drugs off someone else in the class. Kid just got back from the clink - telling everyone the story of how he got put in there (I didn't hear the story). Pregnant girl lying on the floor in the back, curled up in a blanked, occasionally sitting up to gag, spit and puke in the trash can (I am not kidding). All this in one class period in one day. You might also be interested to know that within this one class there are 2 pregnant girls (and one last semester who graduated early), and AT LEAST 3 Daddys (I have a hunch there are quite a few more I don't know of). I can't wait for summer! I need a break from this!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is heartbreaking. It makes "you" want to say "WAKE UP!" Life has so much to offer. It's also heartbreaking because they have learned that behavior from parents, friends, other students, etc. It's like a never-ending cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That makes me want to home school my children and keep them in a bubble because I am sure it is only going to get worse! You are a trooper for sticking with that job for the whole school year!!

    (I'm looking forward to see you this month)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cam! That's intense...I'm not sure I could handle that at all really

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!! That sounds pretty crazy in there. Good thing you have summer to look forward to! And this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They aren't terrible kids. That's the thing... I like most of them quite a lot. It just makes me so sad to be exposed to the "real world" and see how Satan can just take hold of their entire lives without them even knowing it. Its so obvious to me that they are living below their potential happiness, but I think they are just living what they see all around them.

    ReplyDelete