Friday, June 4, 2010

The Search is STILL On

Update: The job search is still on. I have now officially applied for 20 jobs.
(WARNING: THIS POST IS LONG AND BORING. FEEL FREE TO SKIP.)

One of those applications happened months ago by fluke and resulted in a job at the San Angelo Civic Ballet . The director, Meghan Bridgeman, danced professionally with a few companies and was about to move to LA when she got asked to be the guest artist for the Nutcracker at the Civic Ballet. I don't know all the details, but I think she just fell in love with it and decided that this kind of lifestyle would bring her a lot more stability and (as she said it) "peace of mind." I am thrilled to be working with and for her and think that I will learn a lot from her. The only downside is that it doesn't begin until the Fall and I will only have 4 classes until January when I will get about 8.

One application doesn't have to be accepted by anyone! I am qualified to be a substitute teacher and as long as I attend an instructional meeting at the end of summer I can teach. They will even honor my Utah certification and pay me as a licensed sub.

As for the other applications, there are a few I am genuinely interested in. I'd love to work as a secretary or aide in one of the public schools here. This would also work really well with my dance teaching schedule. I'd like to work at a furniture store and am just waiting for them to start hiring this week. There is a dental office where I applied to be an assistant. I don't have any experience or training but the ad just said "experience preferred" so I figured what the heck. I really liked the atmosphere of the office and was impressed with the friendliness of the staff. Maybe my comments about my dad being an orthodontist can give me some pull there???

This job hunt is a little frustrating, but it has had some benefits. First, it has made me realized how blessed I've been in the past. I've done some job searching before, but more often than not, job opportunities have come to me. I've been a little spoiled having jobs that were exactly what I wanted to be doing... teaching dance at Children's Ballet Theatre, Orem Dance Theatre and BYU Creative Dance and now San Angelo Civic Ballet, teaching aerobics for BYU, teaching 4H clubs and running summer camps with my best friend. How lucky am I?! Someday I'll get to have the most desireable job ever, being a mom, so what I do now really isn't that important. I love that country song that says, "You don't have to make a million, just be thankful to be workin'. If you're doin' what you're able, puttin' food there on the table, everybody for the family that you love... that's something to be proud of." I'll be grateful for any job I can get.

Second, it has given me lots of time to do crafts for our home. I finally made pillowcases, which I've been planning to do for a year. I'm almost done painting two pictures for our living room wall.

Third, I have been running a lot. It makes me feel accomplished. Plus, without dance, aerobics or teaching right now I've gotta do something to stay active! It's given me a chance to explore our neighborhood... and I LOVE IT! It's beautiful here.

For those of you who actually read this... I warned you it would be long and boring! But I needed to write this all down and share it. I'm grateful to be in Texas with Bret and even though there are some glitches in getting a job right away, I'm grateful for these learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment