Monday, June 7, 2010

When it's 105 degrees outside...

...life is awesome. That's right, this weekend the weather got up to 105 degrees. Humidity is not too bad, but we notice it. However, despite the scorching weather we had a fantastic weekend. It was just what I needed.

On Friday I went to the pool. I ended up sitting akwardly close to this older, chubby man who was (against pool rules) drinking and smoking. It was ok until eventually everyone had left but us. Luckily a few minutes later a girl my age came in and we got chatting. She is newly married and her husband is doing work for the military. It was so nice to have someone my age in my situation to talk to. We exchanged numbers when I left and who knows, maybe we'll actually have some friends at our apartment complex!

Friday night was great because I watched "Ever After." I'm having a sudden craving for chick flicks and musicals. Bret doesn't particularly appreciate this craving, but at least it means he can semi-study while I watch.

On Saturday we were lazy all morning. Then, just when the temperature peaked, I decided I felt like going for a run and meeting Bret at the pool. BAD IDEA. 105 degrees + no water + no shade = side aches, mega sweat and fear of passing out. However it made the pool extra nice and Bret and I had fun swimming together.

Next it was off to the Lake Nasworthy (it's 3 minutes from our apartment and ASU has an area completely reserved for students) for a Physical Therapy BBQ that the second year student threw for the first years. I got to meet Bret's classmates and eat some delicious brisket and hot dogs. It was so hot that eventually many of the students decided to go see a movie (one that Bret and I would definately not go to see) and I was a little bummed because I was having so much fun being out and about, but then two of his friends suggested that the four of us go play tennis. Wahoo!

Maddie and Grant were perfect people to play tennis with. They returned half the balls and missed half, just like us (ok, just like me!). We had a blast and were so grateful that they would invite us. I think I must be a little deprived of human interaction because on the way home I kept telling Bret, "We should invite them to come over to eat... to go swimming... to watch a movie... to play games..." Needless to say I was happy to meet some new people.

Sunday was fun too. I just got called as a nurserey worker (yay!), but then found out that I'm really going to be the nurserey leader in a couple weeks (yikes!). I'm the only one in there without children and I have NEVER been in nurserey before, but I know that I'll be able to do it and that eventually I'll really enjoy it. Maybe I can call Bret as another nurserey worker... that would be fun!

Final good news of the weekend: while Bret was at stake priesthood meeting (an hour away in Abeline) I finished my paintings for the wall. They're kind of bold and crazy, but it was a fun project and only cost 6 bucks and many hours, which lukily, I had plenty of. If we decide we don't like them, no real loss. So here is our house... COMPLETED!












I'm sure we'll contiue to think of ways to make it look nicer, but we're happy that it feels like home!








2 comments:

  1. Hey Cami! I just found your blog, and I am glad you guys are doing well! (I wish we had a pool to frequent...) I am super impressed by your paintings! Those looks so good, you make me want to get more crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heck your apartment is so cute! I want to come see it and visit you! I will... someday... I am so impressed with your artistic abilities- always. I love you!

    ReplyDelete