Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Week Down

The first week of school felt extremely long, but not in a bad way. I just can't believe that I've only been working with Ashley for a week! I feel really blessed to have this job. She is a sweet girl and a fun friend. We get along really well, and though I'm sure we will have our days, I think the fact that I am young and goofy and optimistic makes me a good partner for her because I get what it's like to be a teenager. (Well... mostly... I hear a lot more about drugs and teen pregnancy and terrible language here, even more than in student teaching, and I don't understand that stuff AT ALL.) I appreciate how independent Ashley is trying to be and that she is patient with me when I don't understand what she is trying to tell me the first time. Even though I come home worn out some day, I feel like I am really lucky to be having this learning experience.

Teaching is AWESOME! I love dance. I love dance. I LOVE dance. Do you believe me? I like my bity baby classes and I honestly fell in love with my advanced modern dance class last night. They are incredible ballet dancers, better than I am, and all of them 10-15 years old. However, I have a lot to offer them in modern... they need to learn to let go, breath, think outside the box, etc. But they are sweet, funny and well-behaved and teaching them gives me an opportunity to do what I love: create challenging movement, teach it, and DO it.

Choreographing for the theatre (ACT - Angelo Civic Theatre) is going to be a fantastic opportunity. Today I taught a 30 second sequence for auditions and had a blast. I love the acting and music directors and know they will be great to work with. The kids (8-18) auditioning were really talented and I can't wait to challenge them with dance (their weakest point). You all know I'm secretly a musical nut and I've been singing "There's no Business like Show Business" at the top of my lungs each time I get in the car for the past week. :)

Life has gone from blah to busy, but I'm loving the change of pace. Coming soon... a post from Bret about his week entitled, "Going from Busy to Blah." (I'll see if I can get him to actually write a post!)

1 comment:

  1. loving your posts. you are a wonderful writer. glad you are dancing, glad work is going well, glad you and bret are so blessed, glad you share your testimony so easily. love ya cam

    ReplyDelete