Monday, August 9, 2010

High Points and Little Moments


A few days ago a friend and I had a conversation about how things we see in the media (especially our favorite: chick flicks) give us a skewed perspective about love and relationships. Often we find ourselves wishing our lives could reflect those seemingly romantic, dream-come-true stories. What we fail to remember is that those movies are just snipets... just high points and key moments that are universally appealing. We don't see the mundane, everydate encounters, the frustrations or the regular conversations. The scene ends right after the kiss, the wedding or the incredibly well-spoken phrase. There is always background music, good lighting and a perfect wardrobe.

.
Let's face it... this is not real life!
.
However, we talked about how real life, though different, is so much better. Each of us could compile our own movie-worthy story if we were to take the high points of our relationships and glamorize them a bit. They might seem more appealing this way, because they would mostly include the good stuff and just enough drama to make the good things seem even better. But real relationships aren't made up of a string of high points with a few dramatic challenges. High points will always be great, but relationships are built upon the everyday occurances, the small and simple things that make us smile.
.
Today I just wanted to thank Bret for all the little things this weekend... for dancing with me when I was frustrated, singing to me in the kitchen because I was in a silly mood and giving me a little backrub because I really wanted one. For the fun night of watching "The Office" on my computer and for being patient while I told him all the details about the movie "Amazing Grace" last night. For not caring that we ate dinner at 9:15 and had to put the chicken back in the oven when it was still pink; for telling me it was delicious anyway. For being so sweet about helping in nursery and for being so cute with all the little kids (he has his own 2-year-old fan club!).
.
I love all the little things that make our marraige such a blessing. Individually, these moments were small and simple; they passed quickly and could easily be forgotten. However, I think that when we take the time to remember the little moments they do seem special and they start to add up and you realize that life is wonderful... REAL life is SO WONDERFUL.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment