Thursday, August 5, 2010

I've Got The Urge...


TO CHOP!
.
This urge is nearly impossible to predict and always comes on strong. I am not an impulsive person, but when it comes to cutting my hair, I act fast. If I can hold out for even two days it is a major triumph.
.
Recently I told Bret that I was pretty sure I'd keep growing my hair out this time since it's already to my shoulders. NOPE. Can't do it. Getting it cut just sounds much more fun!
.
So today I am doing what I always do when the urge hits... scouring the internet for that "perfect hair style." However, there are some problems with this:
.
1. Having a great cut is futile unless you know how to style it well, and that is not my forte.
.
2. All the pictures online are either celebrities (who are going to look good in ANY haircut, even if its not that great) or hair salon pictures (which are usually way too extreme).
.
(Cute, right?! Or is it? If my hair looked like that would I love it or would I be irritated that it was flipping in different directions? Did she have to have a hairstylist do it for her? Could I do it? etc etc.... Get the problem?)
.
Another set-back in deciding how to chop is that I always want to be daring yet I want to play it safe. Can you do both? I think you can but I have yet to venture over to the daring side.
.
In the past 5 years I have gone to a different hair-cutter nearly every time. I am always going for the best bargain, which means beauty school students, which means a little less experience. I am usuallypleased with whatever cut I get, but because I don't know how to describe anything other than "a bob with a slight A-line and some simple bangs," the only thing that really fluctuates is length.
.
So today should I pay $6 for a cosmetology student to try something daring or should I dish out a little more dough and have a more experienced person chop off my hair? I know the smart answer, but I'm so cheap! What a dilemma!
.
I need something new. I need something that makes me look older (don't want to be mistaken for a high school student at my new job). I need something easy to do. I need something that's still me.
.
.
But mostly I just really need to cut my hair!
I'VE GOT THE URGE!

3 comments:

  1. I love your urge (and the predictability of it- the fact that it is always bound to happen with you, rather than the timing of it as you mentioned) and I love this last pic! You should get it cut like that one. Ask about styling when she cuts your hair. Even if it is a student, I guarantee they know more than we do about it :) Maybe you'll end up saving money on the cut and spending it on some nice stying product instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! So by the end of the night I started thinking I'd just have them fix my bangs (make them more of actual bangs) and then leave it about the same length but fix it so its not a grown-out bob. Not so risky, but then I decided that medium-length is a change in and of itself. BUT now that you're voting for my favorite pic, I'm so tempted. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote the last pic also! Getting a hair cut is fun. That is what I miss about growing my hair out, the instant change!

    ReplyDelete