Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Living for the Little Moments

This week's "Little Moments" that made me smile:

1. A girl at Lake View named Marca came into class today and said, "Miss Cami, someone told me I look like you and it made my day." Marca, YOU made my day. Thanks for saying that. (By the way, all of Ashley's teachers and their students refer to me as "Mrs. Wardle" EXCEPT for one class in which the teacher must feel I am too young for such a title and consistently calls me "Miss Cami". My 4-year-olds call me Miss Cami. It's kinda weird at the high school.)

2. Last week Michael was working on his picture for art class during activity period. I asked him about it. This week he proudly caught my attention during 4th period to show me his completed picture. He was so proud. Today I asked him about his plans for college, since I know he is one of the few kids at this school who is really serious about going AND succeeding. He was excited to tell me that his goal is to beat his sister and be the first in their family to get a college degree. He wants to go into architecture and business. Way to go, Michael. Set your standards high!

3. At lunch some teachers told me how wonderful they think the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is. I agree and am grateful for the chior's ability to do missionary work through music.

4. Teaching my Creative Movement class today was NOT a fun little moment. At the time I wanted to cry, but looking back, it was rather comical. I have two DRAMA queens... whiney, crying, pouting, drama queens. They play off each other and it is very obvious that they do it all for attention. I can't adequately discribe how abnoxious they were today. "Miss Cami, [erupting into immediate tears] I want a turn!" "Lauren, you just had your turn." "But but but I don't know how to have high knees [or something ridiculous like that]... waaaahhh!!!!" "Wow Lauren you're standing with a tall back though!" She stands up tall and is ALL SMILES. The next girls' turn begins and immediately, "Miss CAMI!!! [tears]. I'm not good at tip-toes... waaahh!!" WHEW! The best part was after class she got her sticker and was TOTALLY HAPPY, then ran out wailing to her mom, "Dance is OVER... I don't want to be done... Baaahhh!! WAAAHHH!!!" This from the girl who pouted, screamed, and cried through the last 45 minutes of ballet.

5. Yesterday the mother of a student in the musical came up and said that her daughter always comes home happy on Tuesday nights and said that I make her feel good about herself and life. I don't know how that is possible, as I am a spaz at musical rehearsals, but I sure love those students and was so pleased to hear that rehearsal was a bright spot in her week. Its a bright spot in my week too.

6. Bret and I had FHE on Monday and spent a half hour talking about birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yay for holidays to look forward to. Then we had a great discussion about conference and ended with ICE CREAM!

7. A tender mercy: I needed someone to cover my afternoon hall duty and was a little stressed about it. I planned to ask a teacher who I had helped study for a dance ed certification test last week but was nervous to impose on her time. Who pull up right next to me at school that morning and ask for a favor? That teacher. I was able to get up the guts to ask for her help in exchange. Heavenly Father knew I'd need some extra help and provided it.

8. Last night I had an idea for the dance lecture demonstration I'm planning. Finally out of my stump and excited to get going on this project!

9. This weekend my friend Maddie (one of Bret's classmates) called and invited me to go on a walk. We don't see eachother often, but feel a common respect and appreciation for one another. Our walk was just what I needed and we ended up having a great conversation about our religions and faith. It was the first time I had really tried to explain some gosple concepts to someone who truly didn't know a thing about the church. I was nervous but was grateful for a friend who let me speak openly and share my feelings. Thank heaven for good people everywhere who exercise their faith in Christ and try to emmulate His light. She is a light to me.

10. General Conference! Need I say more?

Those are the ones that come to mind right now. Counting the little moments of joy (or humor) in my life always makes me realize how blessed I am. What have been your little moments this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment