Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stuck in a Rut

I have a question for all you readers out there... Do you ever feel like you aspire to be great at things and you do your best, but somehow you just get stuck in a rut. Its like you realize that you're not as wonderful as you hoped you could be and you're stuck somewhere between wanting to invest your whole self to becoming better and just settling for lower expectations? If that makes any sense to you, then you'll understand how I feel today... not unhappy, not mad, not gloomy... simply in a rut.

I don't post this for pity. Like I said, I am loving life. It has been a fantastic week so far and I have nothing to complain about. I am posting this because I'd love to know (both for inspiration and out of curiosity) how you go about getting yourself out of that funk. When you feel like you just aren't measuring up to either your own or others' expectations, how do you motivate yourself to improve without feeling overwhelmed? This can apply to your expectations as a friend, wife, student, mother, teacher, employee, cook, etc etc etc.

Please share!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog!! As far as ruts....blah, they are constantly coming and going!! I just get a new big, yet time-extended project/new hobby. Right now I've just started training for a triathalon that won't happen until July. Just working toward a ME moment makes the diapers and dishes seem less mundane :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I know how you feel! I have found that if I am feeling that way, it helps to set smaller simpler goals for myself. That way, I know I will be successful. That success will motivate me and help me feel accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I know exactly how you feel. I feel that way A LOT when teaching. I'm always second guessing my abilities, passion, knowledge, etc. The thing that helps me the most (I guess could be settling), is to take a step back and realize what's MOST important. Right now the most important thing is being a wife and mother. It's hard for me to feel like there are others out there accomplishing wonderful things in the dance world. I miss being involved as much as I used to be. But then I realize that my life is wonderful, and being a mom is my focus. Obviously everyone is at different stages in life, but that is what helps me the most!

    Oh, and when I just feel like I'm not making progress in my teaching, I pray. A lot. I ask for help and encouragement and the ability to be a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Cam, when I look at you and all that you've accomplished I end up feeling like I'm stuck in a huge rut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, opps! that last comment was from me. Looks like Kathleen was using my computer earlier.

    But seriously, how did I end up with such an amazing, perfect big sister? There's no way I'll ever come close to measuring up to all that you do. I guess something that helps me get out of a rut is to find someone who inspires you and to find little ways to try to be like them :)

    ps... I'm still waiting for a picture of your new hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your ideas! I think my rut is a lot like Rachel's... wanting to be a great teacher and choreographer,but not willing to let it consume my life. I had a great class last night and am having some success (I think) with choreography so hopefully that will be motivation to keep me going for a while. You are all an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete