Sunday, July 17, 2011

Modest is Hottest

"I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder. - Emma Watson

After extensive research (maybe not intensive, but certainly extensive as I spent more time than I should admit), I cannot find where this quote comes from... whether it was a magazine article or an advertisement... whether its recent or a few years old. But when my friend, Lori, showed it to me and I literally jumped up and down and did a "happy dance" (which I'm sure you can imagine). What a refreshing comment from a refreshingly wholesome person. As I looked for the quote I came across a lot of information and pictures of Emma Watson. The truth: she still wears things that I wouldn't deem "modest" in a young women's lesson. She is a huge name, especially in England, and beyond acting, she also has modeled for a lot of famous photographers and designers. She's had to wear a variety of stuff, some more modest than others, and while I wouldn't use the word modest to describe all of her costumes, I never needed to use the word "risque."

Here's what I've decided. I like her. She may not have my exact standards and she certainly has to deal with a very different world than me, but I think that she is being honest when she talks about modesty. Why? It's her appearance, yes, but it also has to do with her attitude, demeanor, and her intent. Even if her clothing wouldn't always pass in our LDS culture, I don't think her intent in wearing it is to flaunt, as is the intent of so many others. I think that if I wasn't a member of our church, and was a famous actress (emphasis on the IF) I would probably be very much like her. I say, "Good for you, Emma! Please, please, please don't change."

Listen to this clip and tell me if you agree...


(You may want to start it at 1:20. My favorite part is 3:30-end.)

Yes, I like her. Modest is hottest, ladies. It is for young women and its good for us young adults to remember too.

1 comment: