Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hungry for more...

I am not an avid reader... unless I am reading. Does that make sense? I usually wait months between cracking open a novel, but as soon as I start I am hooked and sometimes find myself confusing my life with the imaginary life I've let myself into.

Megan gave me the book "The Hunger Games" for my birthday. She took it with her to Africa and said that she could hardly wait to get home to read the next one. I seriously wonder how she did wait. I didn't pick up the book until last week, but when I finished it Sunday night I considered an entire list of plans to get the second book as soon as humanly possible. I thought of going to the book store before work... too early, they wouldn't be open yet. I thought of going to the book store on my lunch break... not enough time to get there and back. I thought of calling every woman in my ward, in hopes that at least one would have the second book... ridiculous and desperate.

I decided to go to the high school's librarian first thing in the morning to see if by any miracle she had heard of it and knew how I could get my hands on it. She had heard of it (apparently this series is quite popular) but both of the school's copies were checked out. However, this wonderful woman called her daughter's middle school and had them check it out to me. When her daughter brought it to her mom after school it was quickly ushered into the room where I was teaching a fitness class to some of the faculty, at which point I quickly stopped doing sit-ups, let out a yelp of joy, ran over and nearly hugged the librarian and her daughter... until I realized how sweaty and smelly I was.

That was Monday. It is now Wednesday night. The second book, "Catching Fire," is out of words, out of chapters, out of story to tell me. I am pathetic. And so to ease myself back into reality (until tomorrow, that is, when I check out the final book "Mockingjay") I am telling this random, pointless story to whatever unfortunate souls take the time to read it. If you, like me, get addicted to stories and characters and plots... leave this book alone. You WILL get sucked in. However, if you have more self-control or are willing to risk loosing yourself for a few weeks.... "Let the Hunger Games begin!"

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard of it I thought it sounded really interesting...but I got hooked too! They are really good books!

    ReplyDelete