Friday, February 25, 2011

Thoughts from Morrie

Yesterday I read Tuesdays with Morrie. It was a really good book. As has become my tradition, let me share my thoughts about the book with you. It was truly touching story and left me with a lot of good things to think about. Here are my favorite quotes from Morrie about life:



"The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it." p35

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." p43

"How useful it would be to put a daily limit on self-pity. Just a few tearful minutes, then on with the day." p??

"I believe in being fully present. That means you should be with the person you're with." p135

"There are a few rules I know to be true about love and marriage: If you don't respect the other person, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you don't know how to compromise, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you can't talk openly about what goes on between you, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. And if you don't have a common set of values in life, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. Your values must be alike. And the biggest one of those values... [is] your belief in the importance of your marraige." p149

1 comment:

  1. I really should be studying chemistry right now... but somehow I've found my way to your blog :)

    Those were all my favorite quotes from the book too! Isn't it such an inspiring one!

    ReplyDelete