Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Weekends (this is more a travel log and life recap, so feel free to skip)

I'm am officially addicted to the weekends. Bad, I know. I wish it were possible to get away from that "living-for-the-weekend" mentality. I keep trying, but even on great days like today I find myself counting down to Friday. Why do we do that? I think part of it is A) I look forward to more sleep, and B) I get to spend more time with Bret.

(I just feel like I should insert here that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job and feel super lucky and blessed. I don't dread the weekdays... I just am eager for the weekends!)

This weekend Bret took me on a special date for Fall-in-Love February. On Friday night we drove to Fredericksburg to see a show at the Rockbox. Possibly our favorite venue in all of Texas. I didn't realize how much Bret and I shared in a love for live music - maybe because we hadn't been to many live music events before - but we have just loved both times we've been to the Rockbox. They play music from famous musicians past (in a range of genres) but they also dress and act like them so its really humorous as well. It is also 100% family friendly which is great that we don't worry about inappropriate lyrics and jokes.

Friday night we stayed at a hotel in Fredericksburg and the next morning we drove to San Antonio. We attended a lovely session at the Temple and then ran into Becky and Jarom in the distribution center. Unfortunately they were on their way to a session so we couldn't chat forever, but it was such a fun and unexpected surprise to see one of my best friends in the whole world who lives 6+ hours away by chance! Tender mercy?!

After the temple we went to the San Antonio rodeo which was in a huge indoor arena - very different from Oakley, Utah in July! We loved it. My favorite event was mutton-bustin' - 4-5 year olds clinging on the back of sheep for dear life and seeing how far they can get across the arena. It was very funny! Following the rodeo events there was a concert; Jake Owen, a really popular country singer ("Barefoot Blue-Jean Night") was the performer and we thought he had an incredible voice... just wished all his songs weren't about beer and getting girls. There were a few good ones though. After the concert it was Chipotle, driving home, and going to sleep.

Bret wasn't feeling well on Sunday and had to stay home from church. I got called on Saturday night to sub the 12-13 yr old Sunday School class which went a lot better than I expected. They are a bit crazy, but they still let you "teach" them, whereas the Seminary kids need to be treated more like adults. We finished off the day by watching "17 Miracles," a beautiful movie about the Martin and Willey handcart companies.

I had a holiday on Monday but Bret didn't, so I got a nice relaxing afternoon to myself - a good mix of getting things done and just chillin. I wanted to surprise Bret with something nice at the end of the day so we went out for dinner with a left-over gift card and had so much fun eating together.

I know we are spoiled that we get to spend this much time together but I hope we can make an effort to still have "our time" when our family grows. I love that guy so much and I look forward to any chance to take a walk or watch a movie or just drive in the car with him.... which puts us back where we started.... counting down to the weekend so we can have another adventure together.

1 comment:

  1. Okay I had no idea this blog existed! Hooray now I can stalk you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete