Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Calendar Freak



Those who know me best can attest that I am a calendar freak. I habitually, and almost obsessively, write down what is going to be accomplished each day... sometimes multiple times a day. Ashley just rolls her eyes when she sees me pull out a piece of blank paper and start numbering hours down the side. I don't know how many times this week I have opened my planner to add information only to find it has already been written, and circled, and starred, and underlined! (Ok, exaggeration, but you get it!)
(Yes, I am a dork and found a picture of my planner. You can find them (and cuter ones) at ecojot.com or on amazon.com for a little cheaper.)




I found this quote that has helped me diagnose my problem.


"When I cannot bear outer pressures anymore, I begin to put order in my belongings... As if unable to organize and control my life, I seek to exert this on the world of objects."

-Anais Nin, The Diary of Anais Nin (Found in Real Simple Magazine)



Those objects I seek to control and are the events of my life in visual format. I exert control by color-coding, labeling, graphing, highlighting, detailing, etc. It is quite empowering to tell everything in my life where to go and when. (If only things actually played out like you plan!)


Well this week I'm not over-organizing because of stress, but because of pure boredom. I keep going over these days in my head.... THURSDAY FRIDAY MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY. That is the list of school days left. Then I go through the list this way... THURSDAY FRIDAY monday tuesday wednesday THURSDAY FRIDAY MONDAY TUESDAY wednesday thursday friday (lower case for test days, italicized for Ashley absent). Then I go through it this way.... Just kidding. I'll spare you.


But isn't that exciting?! 12 more days of school/work! I am so grateful for my job and yet so ready for a break, not because its hard but because I'm so bored!

So question... do any of YOU do crazy, unnecessary things like this to organize your brain? Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment