Friday, May 27, 2011

HOW DID PEOPLE LIVE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING?!

Was there really a time?! My guess is they either hibernated in shade during the summer or else they simply chose not to live in Texas.

It is May 27th and we're at a balmy 107*! My car's a/c is still broken (yes, still). I took it in last month and was told that my lovely little 1993 Geo Prism has the old cooling model - R 122 or something - and only a handful of people are licensed to fix that. I haven't had time since to track down who those people are, but now that school is out I can get on it! Today I rolled down all 4 windows and still got home pretty sticky and wet. I also learned that driving with 4 windows down is dangerous... like when the wind blows the back seat down and papers from the trunk start flying through the car... or when you can't pull your hair up so it flips around in your face, sometimes completely obstruction your vision... or when you twist your hair back and try to hold it in place by squishing your head into the head-rest and thus can't turn your head very far when switching lanes.

And on another note, (one that is more important and exciting) today was the last day of school! I left at 12:00, had lunch at Sealy Flatts House of Blues with my favorite work friends (we were celebrating retirement for one of them), went back to the school to get my car, and drove away from Lake View forever!

Okay, so maybe not forever. I will certainly go back to visit the Basic Skills Special Ed room (the severely special ed kids) and if a lot of things change, I may even work there again next year. But the way things are looking now, I will be working as a Job Coach (still a paraprofessional job) for the special ed students who are in a vocational skills program, and will have a desk at the other high school, Central. I am excited to be doing something that gets me out of the classroom, but I hope this job is a little more challenging. Either way, it will be a fun change. I'm excited to be at Central, although I feel like I am finally finding my niche at Lake View.

Well, if I can't beat this heat I may just go embrace it at the pool. Or take a nap. Hibernation sounds nice right now... in my air conditioned apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment