Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother Dear

I got to school this morning with this song running through my head...

Mother dear, I love you so.
Your happy, smiling face
Is such a joy to look at;
It makes home a lovely place.
(Mother Dear, LDS Children's Songbook)

This weekend Bret and I were so lucky to have my mom here with us. I loved having her all to myself for a few days and was so grateful that she overlooked all my inadequacies as a hostess and just enjoyed hanging out with us. Her happy, smiling face did make our home a lovelier place for a few days.

Some of the highlights (sorry, no pictures) of the weekend included...

* Driving 2 hrs to spend the day in Fredericksburg, a small town with a kind of Park City feel. It was a great way for her to see the area surrounding San Angelo and we had lots of fun window-shopping on Main Street. Everything is so artsy and unique. However, I think my favorite part was trying to find the random Mexican restaurant in Brady (a very small town that you drive through on the way) that a lady I sat next to on an airplane last month recommended. Since we weren't sure exactly what we were looking for I'm not exactly sure if we found it, but whatever we found was delicious!
* All three of us exploring San Angelo... the new library, the Concho River, the museum, the Fort, "downtown", the Blues Festival and pizza, Eggermeyers, Lake View, the Chicken Farm, and driving around neighborhoods and ASU. We were proud to show off our little city and happy that she approved.
* Playing games... Rummicube, Sequence and Boggle. I don't think I won. Any. At all.
* Having mom help in nursery. I was embarassed to ask for her help when someone didn't show up, and I was afraid that she'd think I was really bad at my calling (because I know she would have had a great way to teach the lesson and homemade snacks and a cute mothers' day craft and perfect tricks to make the kids hold still) but I love my calling and the kids I get to teach and whether she judged me or not, I'm glad she could play in the nursery with me.
* Cooking with mom in my teeny-tiny kitchen. At first I resisted her help, but it was fun to cook and bake together.

I'm so glad my mom would spend her mother's day with me and Bret. I love her and look forward to seeing her again next month!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such a fun visit! You are so amazing at everything you do Cami!

    ReplyDelete