Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Edge of the Solar System


That is where Bret and I journeyed for our date last night. Ok, not literally, but we did go to ASU's planetarium where we watched a movie (you know, on the big dome ceiling) by that name. It was....? Disappointing. Cheesy. Confusing. Jam-packed with information but not entertaining enough to keep a person interested. Lacking visual splendor. Even the chairs were a let-down, as it required all your abdominal (and neck and arm and back and leg) muscles to keep the chairs reclined.

However, the planetarium had two big things going for it. 1) It was practically free. 2) At the end the guy running the show did some awesome things with the screen where he showed us the sky exactly as it was above us... then dimmed it... then highlighted constellations... then changed the date (like, "Here's what the sky will look like on July 4th.") so we could see how things shifted in the sky. I am still totally co
nfused about how so many things are rotating in so many ways around us, but it made me appreciate God's incredible majesty. We will be studying the Old Testament and Pearl of Great Price in Seminary this year. We start with Moses, Abraham, and Genesis.

Moses 1:3-4, 33,35, 38-39 - "And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years and is not this endless? And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease.... And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose... and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.... And as one earth shall pass away, and the heavens thereof even so shall another come; and there is no end to my works, neither to my word. For behold, this is my work and my glory - to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

Seeing this show put this into perspective. When I read that God's works are endless it is hard for me to grasp. I read it, think "WOW," and move on. Seeing how our solar system is just a small part of our galaxy which is part of an immense universe doesn't help me understand things any better, but it sure helps me appreciate the majesty of our Creator. It makes me even more aware of His compassion and goodness. Can you believe that with an entire universe before Him, He takes the time to tell Moses, "thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands." I find it even more incredible that He takes the time to stop and listen to my prayers, to teach me when I read the scriptures, to forgive me when I make mistakes, and to comfort me when I need His protection. "Now for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed" yet I am so grateful that although small and insignificant in comparison to His endless and magnificent creations, I am still of enough worth to Him that He would care for me, send His Son to atone for my sins, and make it His top priority to see that I gain eternal life (Moses 1:10).

What a timely learning experience and a fun date night. While I don't necessarily recommend ASU's planetarium, I do recommend that you take a minute to look up at the sky, think about your place in this vast universe, read Moses 1, and then say a little prayer of gratitude. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment