Sunday, September 25, 2011

Among Friends

Since Bret and I didn't get to see each other this weekend I wanted to try to make it as relaxing as possible. Usually our weekends are a blast, but because it is our only time together I don't like to spend to much time crafting or watching TV. This weekend, however, I did both.

On Saturday morning I led a warm-up for the "Walk to End Alzheimers" (one of the ladies who comes to my broadway fit class invited me to help out). We didn't have music (the radio station bailed), so it was a rather pathetic warm-up, but who really needs to warm up to walk a mile?! Then I sat at home and watched HGTV for much longer than I intended :)  I decided I was being incredibly lazy so I went to the gym, showered, and ate a late lunch. I spent the rest of the afternoon sewing a new pencil skirt. I really like it. I finished it just in time for the Relief Society dinner/social and General Broadcast. I would choose my husband over friends any day, but I must admit that spending time with some of the women in my ward was just what I needed. My spirits just felt so lifted. The broadcast was also wonderful, especially President Uchtdorf's talk. He reminded us of 5 things to "forget not"...

1. Forget not to be patient with yourself.
2. Forget not that some sacrifices are better than others.
3. Forget not to be happy NOW.
4. Forget not the "why" of the gospel.
5. Forget not that the Lord loves you.

President Uchtdorf is such a wonderful leader. I feel that he is truly a window to our Heavenly Father's love. What a good appetizer for General Conference next week. I can't wait for that spiritual feast!

Today I sat with the Jeppsons at church. Meg sat on my lap the whole time and Kate was right next to us. I just felt so happy and content. I am grateful for good friends who let me be a part of their lives and their family. I think the best part of my day was when Meg asked if it could be her turn to draw a picture. (I had given Kate a notebook and pen and asked her to draw a picture of Jesus to help her be quiet during the Sacrament.) I told Meg that we should let Kate have another turn because Meg and I were having snuggle time. She paused a minute to think, then nodded and then wrapped her arms around me. I know it sounds so silly, but that little 6-year-old did so much to bring me joy and comfort today in a way that nobody else could. Thanks Meg for sitting on my lap and giving me hugs.

Some other sweet friends have invited me to come eat dinner with them in a few minutes. Is there any way I can ensure that we always live in a ward like this one? I feel like we really are becoming a ward family and I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment