Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Job is a Joke

7:15-10:00  Supervise 4 kids as they fill out job applications and play free online games. Occasionally I get to help them answer a question, spell a word, or tell them that the site they are looking at is not school appropriate.

10:00-1:30  Sit in the small lobby area at Howard College and attempt to plan seminary lessons or do something productive. Lots of distractions. Hard to focus. One boy who ALWAYS has his dirty rap music playing for all to hear (go figure- he sat down just as I started typing this sentence). On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get to feed Ashley. Usually I wait outside for the bus with her.

1:30-2:30   Sit at a Credit Union and watch girls in the Vocational Education program shred paper (they are special ed but very high level). They don't need my help or supervision. So I just watch and try not to fall asleep.

2:30-4:00   Either go back to Howard to wait for the bus with Ashley or go back to the High School to watch the clock for an hour and a half. No duties. Plenty of other teachers and aides around for the kids to do absolutely nothing with.

So the question is WHAT EXACTLY AM I BEING PAID TO DO? I get that they kind of need someone to supervise these kids, but in all honesty, I think my job is totally expendable. It has been 3.5 weeks and I'm ready to scream (I already tried crying... it helped some). I just don't know how I can take 8 more months of this.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION? Honestly - I'm interested to know! How would you deal with the situation?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry Cam! That sounds so frustrating! Is there anyone you can talk to about it?

    ReplyDelete